Monday, October 26, 2009

Just so you can all feel my pain...

My Surface project is becoming littered with code that looks like this:


presContent.Background = System.Windows.Media.Brushes.Transparent;
presContent.Foreground = System.Windows.Media.Brushes.White;


and this:


System.Windows.Controls.Image authorImage = new System.Windows.Controls.Image();


I spent around 10+ minutes just now making these "ambiguous references" unambiguous in this manner. There are a few major issues with this, besides the waste of time.

1) The "Intellisense" that everyone jizzes themselves over with Visual Studio is not very intelligent.

2) Why can't it tell that, when the variable is a System.whatever.fuckmicrosoft, that the constructor should also be of this type. What's the point of even having static typing if it can't tell that.

It's obvious these tools were very poorly designed with very little forethought...I shudder to think this was done with full knowledge and not on accident, but it's almost too prolific to not be otherwise. I only complain because it's making my life very very hard. This project has gotten rather large and the last thing I need to worry about is the jackass compiler complaining it can't tell which 10 word namespace this data type is actually in, and could I please write out all 10 words, which makes the "using" keyword ESPECIALLY useful.

In other news, we're at over 300 commits on the project, with 2 weeks left before shipping! :D

No comments: