Thursday, June 26, 2008

Back to Arch, and Lisp

The past couple of days I've been slowly migrating back to my Arch Linux box, especially after I realized most of my lack-of-hdd-space problems were stemming from the fact that I hadn't emptied my trash in a while. Nice one. Anyway, I'm moving back to that box as my primary dev environment just due to the fact I love more hands-on Linux distros like that, and feel like they're much easier to code on because it's expected you know your system inside and out...that leaves no place for libraries to hide, and removes the voodoo that seems to normally go along with prepping a dev environment from within a more hands-off system (I'm looking at you OS X).

I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to nuke my OpenSolaris partition; I really enjoy having a full Linux distro running within my Mac, especially when I need to go home and there's no way in hell I'm lugging back two desktop computers. This just will not happen. I'm certainly leaning towards keeping it after being reminded how easy the install and initial set-up was. No fuss, no muss.

I'm finally starting to get back into Lisp as well. Recently I've come down with "do the same thing every day" syndrome, or in a rut as it were. So to rectify this I'm taking a break officially from TF2 (shock!) in order to start working on some projects, including a Lisp syntax checker and the multiple games that have been piling up. (Maybe I'll make some time for musical endevours as well? My saxophone is so painfully neglected...) So much for getting lots of work done over the summer.

So I currently have two primary goals: learn Lisp and complete at least one simple video game project. Hopefully the next time I post I'll have some progress to report!

No comments: